HUMAN SOUP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Big Four Tour

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Haunz

Haunz

The Big Four Tour Empty
PostSubject: The Big Four Tour   The Big Four Tour I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 3:39 pm

Didn't we already have a thread?

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?1=1&item=602847

I'm looking forward mainly to seeing Slayer metal

I think the whole idea is cool in a retro way stoney

The thing that makes it really ridiculous though:

Special Guests:

Heaven & Hell
Mastodon

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Bogle the Dark Angel
sat~ANN!!!!
Bogle the Dark Angel

The Big Four Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Big Four Tour   The Big Four Tour I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 3:49 pm

Hmmmmm

Given that I am gonna go to Sonisphere at Knebworth, UK next summer, does this mean I get tix for the Warsaw, Poland Soniphere as well? Great ... although I dunno if I can get time off work then (as well as the Knebworth shows)

Anyhoo .... fingers crossed - could be good .... and better yet - I may even get to meet up with some of my European buddies - Haunz - you up for a bottle of red if I can make it over there??

Bogle x bounce
Back to top Go down
Haunz

Haunz

The Big Four Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Big Four Tour   The Big Four Tour I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 5:42 pm

I don't know if I'll be there for sure either - but if so - sure drunk stoney
Back to top Go down
angry nate

The Big Four Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Big Four Tour   The Big Four Tour I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 12:13 am

oh, the appetite for disaster tour ???
this is worse than trying to put a proper van halen reunion tour up !!!
as haunz said , i'd be there mainly to see slayer , & anthrax if belladonna is not on vocals !!!

special guests mastadon & h&h, please !!!
there were 3. very important bands that were majour influences (founders) of the thrash metal scene that should be on this list : overkill, exodus, & has everyone forgotten motörhead ??? who were & without there would not be bands such as metallicrap today !!!

this really does disgust me to no end , especially growing up in san fran in the 80's when the whole scene blew up & overnite came outa no where ...

yeah , i do say FUCK what the masses think ; i hope this blows up worse than the space shuttle (rip) back in the 80's ,,,
Back to top Go down
newmoon

newmoon

The Big Four Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Big Four Tour   The Big Four Tour I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 6:32 pm

I saw them all in the 80s .... I really don't feel the need to relive it.
in a pathetic decrepit way both as a viewer and as the bands, we're both too old for that shit...now if it was a time machine show - and the bands are in 80s form I'd haul my decrepit ass out there....

....can you say 'cash in'
Back to top Go down
the B

the B

The Big Four Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Big Four Tour   The Big Four Tour I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 6:42 pm

let them cash in...it's a good line up...I would go for sure if it was here

but there are bands missing as nate said....there would be no thrash if it wasn't for overkill, exodus, motorhead, testament etc etc etc
Back to top Go down
angry nate

The Big Four Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Big Four Tour   The Big Four Tour I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 6:51 pm

legacy / testament, death angel, death penalty / vio-lence, ulysses siren, forbidden evil / forbidden, tormentor / kreator, & the list goes on !!!
Back to top Go down
Bogle the Dark Angel
sat~ANN!!!!
Bogle the Dark Angel

The Big Four Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Big Four Tour   The Big Four Tour I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 10:32 am

angry nate wrote:
oh, the appetite for disaster tour ???

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
angry nate

The Big Four Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Big Four Tour   The Big Four Tour I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 6:11 pm

LOL !!!
i would almost go for this if gar samuelson & cliff burton were still alive ((rip) ...
and if anthrax brought back neil turbin & dan lilker, & dan spitz,
as well,
if megadave brought back chris poland & dave ellefson ...
which will never happen ...
how the fuck ya gonna put megadave & the crustaines on the same bill with metallicrap & get joey belladonna off the sauce long enuff to do a show; counting on 2 hands now the "suppose to be reunion tours with belladonna that never happened" & this last 1 that lasted much longer than anyone anticipated, which ultimately was the demise armoured ian; again !!!
study bounce lol!
Back to top Go down
Bogle the Dark Angel
sat~ANN!!!!
Bogle the Dark Angel

The Big Four Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Big Four Tour   The Big Four Tour I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 4:31 pm

Hmmmm ... ok ... well - last night was THE BIG FOUR in Sofia (ermm.... Bulgaria, I think?? scratch scratch ) and it was also transmitted to movie theatres around the world, so we could all 'join in'

I went to see this at the Cambridge Arts PictureHouse - gotta say the staff appeared distinctly bemused by a bunch of rowdy metalheads taking over what is normally a rather serene and formal venue for "arthouse" films ...

Anyway ...

The Big Four ...

Anthrax up first - they were good, and it was truly great to see Joey Belladonna up there. I liked the t-shirts they all wore - looked like Darth Vader design, only not ...

Megadeth next - Dave Mustaine looking cool in his black jeans and white shirt, and that glorious mane of hair!! Nice ... BUT - rather like when I saw them last year, Mustaine's voice is really not lasting well, and where normally at a gig it's ok coz the vocals are kept low in the mix and the superb riffage drowns out everything anyway ... well --- on the big screen, the mix was a bit off, and the voice was too 'clear' in the mix, so you could hear how flawed his vocals sound these days ... Ahh well .... Chris - the 'new' guitarist is utterly brilliant ... good set by them, got everyone howling along ...

Slayer ... ok, I'm biased, I loves me some Slayer slayer and they were consistent as always, delivering what they needed to ... Tom Araya looked bemused by the tv cameras at times, and he could easily double for Billy Connelly in the looks department nowadays. Jeff H looked OLD and very overweight, and his leather trousers were hanging low - not good ... Kerry King was exactly the same as I've always seen him ... and the friggin gigantic chain hanging off his belt-hooks Shocked Shocked Shocked Good Gawd!

Metallica .... were good, they only played one 'new' track, and relied heavily on their much stronger back catalogue. Lars is (and will always be) a complete GIT - he's also getting much worse at keeping time for the band - they were getting faster and faster in some songs, Kirk - same as always - good solo-ing from him, but sometimes the timing was slightly off. Rob Trujillo was brilliant - always is - I miss Jason Newstead still, and obviously Cliff Burton is always in ones thoughts, but Rob is a unique and truly gifted bassist - I LOVE watching that guy play .... James Hetfield .... well, he's not the guy I fell in luff wiv all those years ago, and basically I think it is the changes in HIM as a person that have slightly put me off Metallica these days (ironic, since I was published as Letter Of The Week in Kerrang! once many many years ago, when I criticised people saying they didn't like Metallica because Hetfield was into hunting and shooting animals and all ... funny that - but I do think the way that James has grown over the years now very much colours everything the band does, and it's just not my thing any more - I used to worship the guy, now I cringe at his vocals and mannerisms ... he's taken to pushing his voice too hard - he used to have a natural rough growl, now he puts in too many "Oh yeah" and "Mmm Baby" ends to his singing phrases - don't like it)

Mostly - as long as they don't play too much of St TeenAngst or Death Magnetic - then Metallica sound like a fairly well-polished "Metallica covers band" these days - nothing new, nothing risky, just same ole same ole - and surely they do churn out a mass of the old classics. Set list:

Creeping Death
For Whom the Bell Tolls (too fast for the final 3rd)
Harvester of Sorrow
Unforgiven
Cyanide (meh ...)
One
Master of Puppets
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
the intro to Frayed Ends ....
Am I Evil (with * everyone-ish - see note below*)
Hit The Lights
Seek and Destroy

Yeah - everyone from Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer was meant to come on stage and join in with Metallica for AM I EVIL? - on the most part they did, and it sounded utterly awesome ... but s'cuse me - I did NOT see anyone from Slayer joining in - they walked on the stage when the song finished and 'joined in' the cameraderie with all other band persons - grinning, shaking hands, hugs, waving to audience ... disappointing that they didn't actually participate during the song.

In between the bands, and earlier before the gig footage started there was bits of recorded interviews with Lars Ulrich, Scott Ian and Dave Mustaine, sat together, supposedly 'shooting the breeze' and chatting like best buddies, stroking eachothers' egos saying how these four bands were the pioneers of Bay Area Thrash movement some 20-25 years ago, and talking about their influences ... they also interviewed Kerry King, only on his own - sad to see that the Slayer guys did not join the others for the interview segments. Gave me the thoughts that there was some tension or animosity betwixt bands. Anthrax were most friendly and affable - clearly deferring to the might of huge rival bands like Metallica, who were clearly considered to be the top dogs, top billing, and 'most important' band appearing ... though I got the impression that Slayer were more superior. It was an odd combination - I personally think that if they had truly intended on make such a big big thing of these four band being together like this for the first time, and 'making history' then the bands should have appeared less like four bands with separate sets and found a way to integrate their music and styles together - hell, mebbe each band coulda thrown in a cover of one of the other bands that were playing (though I'da insisted that Megadeth NOT choose to play 'Tallica's Four Horsemen - since Mustaine co-wrote that one ...) ... just seems like it was a woefully missed opportunity for these four bands to rise above status of billing, and who's-had-the-most-record-sales and actually give the audience something unique and special ...

The whole shebang is coming out on dvd soon, so the 'amazing uniqueness' of broadcasting it to cinemas globally is undermined by the purely financial slant inferred by their 'cashing in' on this event. ... and so

Maybe I'm getting jaded in my old age, but in the end, it was just like watching any other bit of concert footage on a big screen ... nothing particularly special after all ....
shrug stoney metal

Anyone else go see this?? what did you think??

bogle
Back to top Go down
Haunz

Haunz

The Big Four Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Big Four Tour   The Big Four Tour I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 6:55 pm

haven't seen it yet - i'm waiting for the dvd.

i believe i agree with pretty much everything you said The Big Four Tour 989565

except for the fact that lombardo actually was on stage playing the snare and fucking around with lars on am i evil

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=141969 metal
Back to top Go down
Bogle the Dark Angel
sat~ANN!!!!
Bogle the Dark Angel

The Big Four Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Big Four Tour   The Big Four Tour I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 8:38 am

Haunz wrote:
except for the fact that lombardo actually was on stage playing the snare and fucking around with lars on am i evil

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=141969 metal

Hmmm - yes - I was straining to see if he was there ... I wasn't sure ... but still - no sign of Jeff, Kerry or Tom - bah humbug!

Thanks for the links and such The Big Four Tour 989565
Back to top Go down
Haunz

Haunz

The Big Four Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Big Four Tour   The Big Four Tour I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 8:23 pm

yeah, i too think it's kinda odd actually that the others didn't participate. i don't know why but i think their a bunch of drama queens Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Big Four Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Big Four Tour   The Big Four Tour I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Big Four Tour
Page 1 of 1