HUMAN SOUP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Happy May 1st Everyone!

Go down 
+5
Krissah
the B
wattage
newmoon
Haunz
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Haunz

Haunz

Happy May 1st Everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Happy May 1st Everyone!   Happy May 1st Everyone! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 7:19 pm

grouphug
Back to top Go down
newmoon

newmoon

PostSubject: Re: Happy May 1st Everyone!   Happy May 1st Everyone! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 7:25 pm

Happy May 1st Everyone! Maypole

Eye know - not the kind of pole dancing you'd like to see. . .

Heading for summer fun cheers sunny flower
Back to top Go down
wattage

wattage

Location : Shufflin' thru the P-town Blue grass. But my Head's in Statesville NC

PostSubject: Re: Happy May 1st Everyone!   Happy May 1st Everyone! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 7:55 pm

is it a holiday somewhere?
Back to top Go down
newmoon

newmoon

PostSubject: Re: Happy May 1st Everyone!   Happy May 1st Everyone! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 8:50 pm

wattage wrote:

May Day is related to the Celtic festival of Beltane and the Germanic festival of Walpurgis Night. May Day falls exactly half of a year from November 1, another cross-quarter day which is also associated with various northern European pagan and neopagan festivals such as Samhain. May Day marks the end of the uncomfortable winter half of the year in the Northern hemisphere, and it has traditionally been an occasion for popular and often raucous celebrations.

As Europe became Christianized the pagan holidays lost their religious character and either changed into popular secular celebrations, as with May Day, or were merged with or replaced by new Christian holidays as with Christmas, Easter, and All Saint's Day. In the twentieth century, many neopagans began reconstructing the old traditions and celebrating May Day as a pagan religious festival again.

A more secular version of May Day continues to be observed in Europe and America. In this form, May Day may be best known for its tradition of dancing the Maypole and crowning of the Queen of the May. Various Neopagan groups celebrate reconstructed (to varying degrees) versions of these customs on May 1. The day was a traditional summer holiday in many pre-Christian European pagan cultures. While February 1 was the first day of Spring, May 1 was the first day of summer; hence, the summer solstice on June 25 (now June 21) was Midsummer. In the Roman Catholic tradition, May is observed as Mary's month, and in these circles May Day is usually a celebration of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Rolling Eyes there ya go all informed now...

SO KINDA...
Back to top Go down
newmoon

newmoon

PostSubject: Re: Happy May 1st Everyone!   Happy May 1st Everyone! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 8:56 pm

scratch but why do people call mayday when the ships going down?
Back to top Go down
the B

the B

PostSubject: Re: Happy May 1st Everyone!   Happy May 1st Everyone! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 8:59 pm

newmoon wrote:

It derives from the French venez m'aider, meaning "come (and) help me"

I hit the smarts rabbit
Back to top Go down
Krissah

Krissah

PostSubject: Re: Happy May 1st Everyone!   Happy May 1st Everyone! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 9:00 pm

Derived from some old french saying for Come Help Me, I think. I watch too much Deadliest Catch.
Back to top Go down
the B

the B

PostSubject: Re: Happy May 1st Everyone!   Happy May 1st Everyone! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 9:13 pm

I beat ya to it by 1 minute....don't try to steal my smarts lady
Back to top Go down
Krissah

Krissah

PostSubject: Re: Happy May 1st Everyone!   Happy May 1st Everyone! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 9:17 pm

the B wrote:
I beat ya to it by 1 minute....don't try to steal my smarts lady

HAHA! I didn't even see that, they must have been so close together it didn't even do the "There has been a new post" thing!
Back to top Go down
Haunz

Haunz

PostSubject: Re: Happy May 1st Everyone!   Happy May 1st Everyone! I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 7:51 am

Damnit you guys are smart! Happy May 1st Everyone! 989565

I was refering to the International Workers' Day however. It is a National holiday in Austria and has quite a special meaning here. I run up the flag on sunrise. cawfee
Back to top Go down
iyloma

iyloma

PostSubject: Re: Happy May 1st Everyone!   Happy May 1st Everyone! I_icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2010 5:28 pm

Haunz wrote:

I was refering to the International Workers' Day however. It is a National holiday in Austria and has quite a special meaning here. I run up the flag on sunrise. cawfee
I got it; it's a holiday here as well. And it's a great opportunity to show solidarity to all the workers all over the world and, most of all in this period of crisis, to those who are looking for a job!
Btw, a special thought this year to the Greek workers, who are going to pay the highest price of a crisis they didn't create, they have been the first to be fooled!
Back to top Go down
elektriklady

PostSubject: Re: Happy May 1st Everyone!   Happy May 1st Everyone! I_icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2010 5:48 pm

iyloma wrote:
Haunz wrote:

I got it; it's a holiday here as well. And it's a great opportunity to show solidarity to all the workers all over the world and, most of all in this period of crisis, to those who are looking for a job!
Btw, a special thought this year to the Greek workers, who are going to pay the highest price of a crisis they didn't create, they have been the first to be fooled!

Hail to all those people looking for a job! Let's put all our positive thoughts together. May is going to be an awesome month! There is incredible power in positive thinking...sorta like group prayer, no matter what religion you profess to be!
Back to top Go down
newmoon

newmoon

PostSubject: Re: Happy May 1st Everyone!   Happy May 1st Everyone! I_icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2010 7:28 pm

the B wrote:
newmoon wrote:

It derives from the French venez m'aider, meaning "come (and) help me"

I hit the smarts rabbit

Surprised Lookit the big brain on Brian!!

huh - now I know. That's right you speak some french - living up there must come in handy.

Wait. . . . stupid meaningless story coming on.....

I was in Toronto wandering Young St towards the wee hours of the am and this old woman spotted me and came frantically running over, babbling a bunch of stuff in French, gesturing wildly. She didn't fit the mold to be out there, alone in that area at that age - I kept trying to tell her I can't speak French and she was clutching my arm and both of us were looking for anyone else to help - no one else was around - she pulled me then threw my arm down and ran. I wish to fuck I knew what the hell her problem was to this day (I didn't see any zombies coming so I felt kinda safe and she didn't lead me to a body sooooo shrug needless to say I felt bad and was mighty drunk).

. . . told you , meaningless.
Back to top Go down
the B

the B

PostSubject: Re: Happy May 1st Everyone!   Happy May 1st Everyone! I_icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2010 7:38 pm

maybe she was desperately trying to tell you what mayday means
Back to top Go down
newmoon

newmoon

PostSubject: Re: Happy May 1st Everyone!   Happy May 1st Everyone! I_icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2010 9:02 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing
oooooo - that's horrible! Horribly funny! Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
iyloma

iyloma

PostSubject: Re: Happy May 1st Everyone!   Happy May 1st Everyone! I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 9:06 am

elektriklady wrote:
iyloma wrote:
Haunz wrote:

Hail to all those people looking for a job! Let's put all our positive thoughts together. May is going to be an awesome month! There is incredible power in positive thinking...sorta like group prayer, no matter what religion you profess to be!
I think I'm a bit out of the loop these days and didn't notice you're on the hunt yourself, el. Good luck, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!
Back to top Go down
Bogle the Dark Angel
sat~ANN!!!!
Bogle the Dark Angel

PostSubject: Re: Happy May 1st Everyone!   Happy May 1st Everyone! I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 12:19 pm

newmoon wrote:
wattage wrote:

May Day is related to the Celtic festival of Beltane and the Germanic festival of Walpurgis Night. May Day falls exactly half of a year from November 1, another cross-quarter day which is also associated with various northern European pagan and neopagan festivals such as Samhain. May Day marks the end of the uncomfortable winter half of the year in the Northern hemisphere, and it has traditionally been an occasion for popular and often raucous celebrations....

Yep! cheers cheers cheers

We had a Beltane Party - cooked up a load of traditional Beltane pagan food things and all lept over the fire ... all very exciting! Do this every year ... it helps that Craig's brother has his birthday on Beltane, and that Craig has his birthday on Samhain cheers cheers cheers drunk

Guess I'm a bit of a pagan at heart really I love you
Back to top Go down
Dakota

Dakota

PostSubject: Re: Happy May 1st Everyone!   Happy May 1st Everyone! I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 7:41 pm

I celebrated!! WOO!!
Back to top Go down
Bogle the Dark Angel
sat~ANN!!!!
Bogle the Dark Angel

PostSubject: Re: Happy May 1st Everyone!   Happy May 1st Everyone! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 1:01 pm

and of course in 2011 it will be mine-and-Craig's wedding day!! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
the B

the B

PostSubject: Re: Happy May 1st Everyone!   Happy May 1st Everyone! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 6:09 pm

bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Happy May 1st Everyone!   Happy May 1st Everyone! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Happy May 1st Everyone!
Page 1 of 1