HUMAN SOUP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

issues with the new board????

Go down 
+8
OverMe
Krissah
Berzerker
Bogle the Dark Angel
newmoon
the B
wattage
13thAngel
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
OverMe

OverMe

issues with the new board???? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 2:42 pm

Went to my profile and the avatar option is there metal
Back to top Go down
13thAngel

13thAngel

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 3:17 pm

13thAngel wrote:
Haunz wrote:
It's not exactly an issue but can we have that emoticon back that jerks and rolls eyes (we had it on the cocb and i believe also on the old soup)?

Yeah, I know, very important.

postcount

edit: ooh, and maybe that one with the thumbs up … rabbit

i somehow TOTALLY missed this....but i WILL getRdone tomorrow issues with the new board???? - Page 5 Alien

im not sure about what thumbs up you mean.... this is all i can remember having issues with the new board???? - Page 5 989565 issues with the new board???? - Page 5 373921
but i know exactly what you meant with this one issues with the new board???? - Page 5 576520 issues with the new board???? - Page 5 576520 issues with the new board???? - Page 5 576520 ............... issues with the new board???? - Page 5 Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Haunz

Haunz

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 7:48 pm

cheers YAY cheers

you know exactly what i want issues with the new board???? - Page 5 Icon_wink2 (<-- notice how that is missing too)

bow thanks a bunch bow

the thumbs up looked something like this …

Very Happy issues with the new board???? - Page 5 989565

i used it quite often actually shrug
Back to top Go down
13thAngel

13thAngel

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:48 pm

issues with the new board???? - Page 5 942256 i gotcha!!!!!

do you mean this one>>>>>>>>>>> issues with the new board???? - Page 5 66860

issues with the new board???? - Page 5 86476 issues with the new board???? - Page 5 551822 issues with the new board???? - Page 5 568442
Back to top Go down
Haunz

Haunz

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 1:59 pm

damnit you're fast lady stoney

issues with the new board???? - Page 5 66860 <-- what is that? Laughing

it was pretty simple, i believe it was called cool or something scratch

something like that …

issues with the new board???? - Page 5 Thumbs_up_smiley
Back to top Go down
13thAngel

13thAngel

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 6:02 pm

yeah...... that ones huge and i cant resize it properly issues with the new board???? - Page 5 86476

i can do this one tho issues with the new board???? - Page 5 231335
Back to top Go down
Haunz

Haunz

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 8:17 pm

awesome kiss issues with the new board???? - Page 5 989565
Back to top Go down
13thAngel

13thAngel

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 8:18 pm

i try man....really i do issues with the new board???? - Page 5 Icon_lol issues with the new board???? - Page 5 Icon_lol issues with the new board???? - Page 5 Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
OverMe

OverMe

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 9:48 pm

13thAngel wrote:
yeah...... that ones huge and i cant resize it properly issues with the new board???? - Page 5 86476

i can do this one tho issues with the new board???? - Page 5 231335

Nice red x Razz Laughing
Back to top Go down
13thAngel

13thAngel

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 10:16 pm

issues with the new board???? - Page 5 Icon_scratch

issues with the new board???? - Page 5 231335 <<< is a red x to you cuz i see it issues with the new board???? - Page 5 86476
Back to top Go down
OverMe

OverMe

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 12:04 am

I see it now Cool
Back to top Go down
13thAngel

13thAngel

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 3:41 pm

issues with the new board???? - Page 5 989565 issues with the new board???? - Page 5 923342
Back to top Go down
Haunz

Haunz

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 7:43 am

Why is the forum public?

For some reason I was logged out on my last visit, didn't notice it and started reading. Well, it worked.

I don't know … Is this wanted?

I'd be totally ok with it if people could only read/write if logged in. shrug
Back to top Go down
13thAngel

13thAngel

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 7:39 pm

well....unless someone KNOWS about this place i hardly think they will be just stumbling upon it....so it seemed kinda silly to us making the whole board private. makes it seem like we have something to hide..... issues with the new board???? - Page 5 Icon_scratch
we did make a few forums private ---- like 4 ur eyes only....cuz we dont really want freeloaders benefiting from the goods like the downloads and stuff....AND we can keep naughty pics in there by being able to control that peoples under 18 can't see them.

AND.....if i remember correctly....we put it out there on the old soup and asked how people felt about it and i cant remember anyone wanting a private board issues with the new board???? - Page 5 Icon_scratch

its "everyones board" so if theres people that feel differently about it now they should feel free to post their thoughts or send either Rob or I a pm if they want....i have no problem to change things up if they need to be issues with the new board???? - Page 5 989565
Back to top Go down
Krissah

Krissah

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 10:25 pm

I agree with you Hope, I don't think many people'll just be stumbling across us any time soon. And we don't have anything to hide.
Back to top Go down
Haunz

Haunz

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2010 10:39 am

I'm cool with it if it stays the way it is. And I agree, the chance that people come here by accident is small. The chance that crawlers come here and store any information they can get about it which can then be used for profiling is pretty high though. I'm not afraid, however, after what el wrote in the political section I thought it would be a good idea to make this board some sort of safe haven. Apart from that no one seems to have any advantage if this board is public …

This really was just something I thought about and wanted to discuss. Again, I'm OK with it if nothing changes, just consider the alternative. issues with the new board???? - Page 5 989565
Back to top Go down
Krissah

Krissah

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2010 4:28 pm

I'm never in the Politics section (as I am sure you've noticed, I steer clear of there, haha) so I hadn't even thought of it that way!
Back to top Go down
iyloma

iyloma

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 9:19 am

Just reading this, now that poll in politics does make sense to me ! Razz
As I've said, no difference to me. Just, if the worry is the profiling, let's not forget bots can see just everything, no matter if it's hidden or not. Common sense when posting sensible information about us is the only way to somehow protect our privacy... but then there's the traffic analysis anyway, so... pale Laughing Wink
Back to top Go down
Haunz

Haunz

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 11:10 am

I would not agree on »bots can see just everything«. On the level on which they (bots is not the correct term here) can see everything, they understand nothing and vice versa. So I would argue that making this board private, meaning that people have to register and log on in order to read the posts/topics, would indeed make a difference to the security level we have now. It is not just the same.

I certainly agree with you on what you said about common sense, using it is a good idea in many cases actually. Laughing issues with the new board???? - Page 5 989565
Back to top Go down
iyloma

iyloma

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 11:50 am

Haunz wrote:
On the level on which they (bots is not the correct term here) can see everything, they understand nothing and vice versa.
Well, I think you probably have already read a post of mine in the line of "only man has a will" and such. As SW applications, of course they don't understand, they look for the parameters they are programmed to look for and so on, and they work at a different level than human speech, let's say. But they can browse everything... do you always trust the programmer?
Just out of curiosity, how would you call them?

Btw, I've never argued on the point that a private board would make the privacy level higher (I'm not sure how much it would improve the security level, instead, I've been taught security doesn't actually depend on secrecy, let's say), just we shouldn't feel completely "safe" anyway. And personally I wouldn't feel more "free" when posting; when it comes to the web I try to post only something I would never repudiate. I don't pretend to be wiser than others, it's a secret I learnt from experience.
Back to top Go down
Haunz

Haunz

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 3:43 pm

If you are refering to a special post about »only man has a will« I do not know which, however I think I understand what you are saying. I think you have a healthy understanding of how to use the web and I agree on what you said about it. I certainly do not trust programmers. No one should. I'm serious. However, I'm not paranoid either.

Concerning your question I do not know which level of detail makes sense in this discussion. I think I do have a basic understandig of how the internet and the web work. I just wanted to prevent that everyone thinks google or any other search engine sends out web crawlers which then read our pm's here and go »Oh, this hawt mistress metal - they call her iyloma, you know - lives in Italy and is a fan of COC.« Judgements like that are not what those crawlers are made for. Of course this could be done but it is rather unlikely. Seriously, who gives a shit? The only reason they are able to access the information that represents such statements is because they work on a rather basic level of the internet. A level where they do not know what a board is, how to log in, what people do there and then read our pm's and so on and so forth. If you are an IT pro and you already know what I mean but actually refered to something else - just call it by what it is, then we can have a technical discussion about it (and I'm not claiming to be a pro). I don't know what the standard of knowledge in this matter of most of the people on this board is so I just wanted to prevent a false impression as stated above.

So, to make it clear what I think:
people come here by random - unlikely
crawlers come here - very likely
crawlers information will be used - rather unlikely
people google their possible future employees - likely
Back to top Go down
iyloma

iyloma

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 4:39 pm

Actually I asked you cause I wondered which is the proper name, if bots (or crawlers, which is more specific, but, at least in Italian, belongs to bots) is not. That's how I call them also in Italian, I'm really interested to know the tech name if it's not.

I'm sorry if I was ambiguous on bots. Being all regular members of message boards, I thought it was pretty obvious to everyone. By "read" and see I didn't want to misinform. My intent was just to stress out that a hidden forum doesn't propect us from an analysis of our online activity on this board, for information retrieval, statistics, marketing profiles and such.
And that happens cause in the robots.txt in the root of a site the pages the webmasters doesn't want to be visited can be listed, but it doesn't represent a proper constrain for bots. And anyway I don't know how many constrains a webmaster can put on a free message board.
I'm really sorry if I was ambiguous, I hope I cleared up a bit.

As for people googling their possible future employees, of course it happens. But if your user name can't be easily linked to your actual identity, I can't see a proper risk. I doubt they would invest that much to find out all the alias of their future employees... scratch
Back to top Go down
Haunz

Haunz

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 7:06 pm

At first I wasn't sure whether or not you really ment those guys: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crawler … however, I think crawler, web crawler, spider, search bots or bots are all totally valid names!

Concerning what they are allowed to do and what not … that's kinda tricky. On the one hand, of course, search engine bots don't have to give a shit about what owners of websites want. On the other hand, also website owners reduce search engines to absurdity. It's kinda weird, actually just wrong. There's just too much money behind all that crap … Hell, I know guys who earn a pretty good - like massive - living by doing nothing but fucking around with those kinda things Rolling Eyes

Concerning the act of Googling Laughing I thought the same way as you until someone googled the shit outta me. She found literally everything about me … all the web projects I've been involved in, my old account on the COCB, pictures … everything. That kinda shocked me because she certainly is not a hacker and you guys know that I really don't give any clues about who I am. Hell, none of you has even seen my face yet!! Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
iyloma

iyloma

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 7:28 pm

Haunz wrote:
Concerning what they are allowed to do and what not … that's kinda tricky. On the one hand, of course, search engine bots don't have to give a shit about what owners of websites want. On the other hand, also website owners reduce search engines to absurdity. It's kinda weird, actually just wrong. There's just too much money behind all that crap … Hell, I know guys who earn a pretty good - like massive - living by doing nothing but fucking around with those kinda things Rolling Eyes
Well, but this is a free forum host, which pays its bills via ads... I don't really think Hope&Rob can do that much and I doubt the host owner has any interest against search engines...

Haunz wrote:
Concerning the act of Googling Laughing I thought the same way as you until someone googled the shit outta me. She found literally everything about me … all the web projects I've been involved in, my old account on the COCB, pictures … everything. That kinda shocked me because she certainly is not a hacker and you guys know that I really don't give any clues about who I am. Hell, none of you has even seen my face yet!! Laughing Laughing
Then your actual identity could easily be linked to all that stuff.
When something similar happened to me, it was because of my email -- but well, studying telecommunication engineering, my uni mate wasn't a hacker but sure had a clue on how the net works. Razz I kept the old mail for fun and put up a more "professional" one.
As I've said, common sense is the only way. We can't be "safe" but sure we can be more conscious and cautious.
Back to top Go down
newmoon

newmoon

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 7:49 pm

Haunz wrote:
I really don't give any clues about who I am. Hell, none of you has even seen my face yet!! Laughing Laughing

But we have a feeling you sound like Arnold Schwarzenegger Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: issues with the new board????   issues with the new board???? - Page 5 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

issues with the new board????
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next